InnovaLED Article #1 – Lighting Energy Audits [How they save you money]
What is a Lighting Energy Audit?
A lighting energy audit consists of 5 steps:
- Consultation: First, we have you fill out a simple questionnaire regarding your lighting needs. It is important to get the basic idea of what your needs are before we set up a meeting.
- Walk Through: We come to your property and have a closer look as all the fixture types. Every project requires different needs, and often times extra installation gear is needed to reach the desired outcome. Many properties have never updated all the lights at one time, which results in a mix match of lamps and colour temperatures. This also leads to inefficiencies due to lamp and ballast failures happening regularly throughout the property. Many maintenance workers spend a lot of their time maintaining poor lighting systems. This can virtually be eliminated if all lights are updated at once.
- Lighting Layout: After gathering the required information from the existing lighting system. We decide on the best options. Lumens, aesthetics, energy efficiency, applicable rebates, and budget are all considered. When it comes to lighting, there are many ways to get the job done. It is not uncommon that 3 separate quote variations are generated for the client to make the best decision.
- Energy Analysis: Now we input the data and generate an energy analysis report. It shows theoretical current energy usage compared to the LED energy consumption. Most projects yield a 2 year payback from the energy savings combined with applicable rebates and reduced lighting maintenance expenses.
- Financing: Third party financing is a very effective way to utilize the energy saving potential of LED technology without the upfront capital. The LED lights are leased to the buyer with the option to purchase it at the end of the agreed term. The energy savings from the LEDs are used to pay off the project. This method, is very beneficial and in the long run and can save a great amount of capital. (A full article will be written to go deeper into the benefits of leasing.)
I you are interested in getting an energy report for you property or facility, please contact us through our website.